Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Good day

Great day today walking. Gustav was three for three on coming when called, and with gusto to boot. One time he had sprinted off away from us, which is unusual for him with his muzzle on. I took the opportunity to take Dottie and me and hide behind a tree, then called him. Seconds later he came sprinting back, looking confused. He found us and was jackpotted, with about 10 pieces of chicken. Good boy.

Also, there was a dog tied up barking the whole time we walked down the street, across the street. Both dogs had hackles up, and Dottie let out a little growl but no barking. Both responded great to their names and took treats. Hooray! Same story with a greyhound down the street with his owner.

Finally, along the bike path we passed a few people and Gustav did some perfect watches and there was no growling/barking/etc, but some small hackles and definite tension.

In other news, the boys in my band are definitely on Gustav's love list. I've been having them enter through the garage, and until recently Justin would have him on leash. Now he's free and they throw treats for him and pet him and all his body language seems relaxed and happy. He wags his tail from the butt and puts his chin on them to get petted. There were bones and kongs around and there was no resource guarding. I'm considering letting them in the front door next, to work on counterconditioning knocking. Justin and I do this with each other and we've gotten to no or next to no barking. I also got my friend Shane, who is in the band, to do the same. He knocked on the door and came in with no barking while I threw treats on the ground. Then he threw treats for them. They love him. It sure helps Gustav to be calm when Dottie can keep from barking, so I'm really focusing on that in terms of visitors coming over.

It's nice to have successful days to remember on the days that don't go so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment