Wednesday, December 23, 2009

This blog is about my dog, Gustav, and working on his aggression issues. Anyone who has an aggressive dog knows that a support network is an important part of the process. Watching friendly dogs walk through the park, getting pet by kids and meeting other dogs all without incidence always brings a little sadness and enviousness to those of us who have "dogs with issues." I always wanted to talk to someone who had an aggressive dog and successfully treated it. This blog is meant to be a record of our process and (hopefully!) progress.

Gustav is a German Shepherd/Boxer mix who is about three or four. We (me and my boyfriend Justin) adopted him from a woman who couldn't keep him anymore in the fall of 2008. She mentioned that he didn't like big crowds, but was otherwise totally fine. I believe that this was the case, since I've learned that "older is bolder" and "caution at one is aggression at three." Apparently, with new-found confidence as dogs grow older, issues can become worse.

I first noticed a few strange habits, like sometimes he would mouth the hand of someone who had just pet him. He also barked and danced around a little girl at the dog park, and barked and lunged at a neighbor of mine. Me and Justin weren't sure what to make of these incidents. He is more of an alpha-wannabe than our other dog, Dottie, and we thought maybe he was just being pushy or rude.

We tried the tough approach, applying tugs on the leash when he fixated on people on walks. This worked in the short term, but in the end seemed to exacerbate his anxiety about strangers.

Finally, in May, we had a rock bottom of sorts. Justin and I were at work all day, and were supposed to meet his mom Lynne at a restaurant right after work. I felt bad for the dogs, and ran home first to give them new butcher bones, full of meat and marrow, and let them outside. We went out for dinner, then came home. We warned Lynne that Gustav had been acting a little weird and we weren't sure about him. He took his bone out, greeted everyone with a wagging tail, then settled down with his bone. Lynne began leaning over him and petting him behind the ears. Gustav stiffened, stared up at her coldly, and snarled and leapt at her face. He had hit her nose hard enough to make it bleed. Justin brought him to his crate, and we made sure Lynne was okay. He hadn't bitten her, just muzzle punched her really hard. We were really upset and worried.

After that, I brought him to a behaviorist for help. I first went in and talked to her, then we came out and got him from the car. She held some treats in her hand, and he went right up and ate them. Then he lunged and snarled at her from behind. She confirmed that he had fear aggression towards people and that we needed to do something about it. We talked about counter conditioning and desensitization.

Since then, Gustav has been in Reactive Rover class once, in November. We worked on teaching him to watch us when we said his name and other attention exercises. I think the class helped a lot.

"Fear aggression" is not really how I would characterize his problems. He has a forward commissure when growling/lunging. I would call him "suspicious." His attitude is that people make him suspicious, but he's not really afraid, since he's confident that he can just growl and lunge or bite if needed to neutralize the threat. However, the same principles to training apply.

I'm hoping to use this blog as something of a training log, in case anyone is interested, but mostly for myself. He really is a great dog, very loving and affectionate at home and a total sweetheart.

2 comments:

  1. My understanding (I have a dog with similar issues) is that while it doesn't seem like fear when they lunge and advance towards a person it is. Its kind of a "I'll get you before you get me" attitude. Some dogs feel that they can retreat and others can't. I strongly suspect my dog was chained for the first few years of his life so while being beaten he didn't have the option of moving. So now if someone approaches or is in his perceived 'space' he will try and bite. The person may not actually be touching him and is seems more dominant and aggressive than fearful but he's just trying to protect himself, so he is in fact acting on fear. I wish you luck on this journey as I'm struggling with an fear-aggressive dog myself and it is a very hard thing to cope with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How terrible for your dog, no wonder he feels he needs to protect himself! I guess my biggest confusion with fear aggression is that it shows none of the signs of "fear" or defensiveness that I read about in other dog body language books. For example, both dogs bark with their commissure (corners of their mouths) forward, while fear is denoted by a commissure back. Also his whole body is oriented forward, although now that I say that I can think of times that he got petted and barked and danced around with his body weight shifted on his back legs. Is there any type of aggression besides resource guarding, dominance aggression, and fear aggression? Is there such a thing as just aggressive aggression? If there is, that's how I would characterize his approach to other dogs, although I guess it could be dominance aggression.
    Good luck, I'd be curious to hear how things are going!

    ReplyDelete