Saturday, June 19, 2010

Amazing BAT session outside the dog park!

Dottie and I had a great time outside the dog park. We stood sort of near the entrance, and when a dog got leashed up and came out, I waited for Dottie to turn her head to me. Then I clicked, and we RAN away from the dog, then got a treat. I misjudged her distance once or twice and she barked, but I just stood there and pretty soon she looked up at me and we got to run away.

I was totally amazed at the quick progress she made. Pretty soon we were an across-the-street distance from other dogs, and Dottie was wagging her tail and anticipating her click and our super fun retreat. I guess this is more of a BAT thing, as far as I've read about it, but of course it's really just the same old principles: communicate with your dog, figure out what they want, and find a way to negotiate how to get what you both want out of a situation. It also made me think about what an "operant" dog Dottie is. She just wants to do what works, and is so whip smart that she doesn't let her fears overcome her when she's deciding what course of action to take. Of course, a key in all that is keeping her at a distance she can deal with. If the dogs had been off-leash and mobbed her, all bets would be off and she would do what works: snap and lunge.

I'm lucky that leash laws are observed, by and large, around here in the city. I think people are mostly worried about their dogs getting hit by cars, not the consideration of other people.

Anyway, I was really encouraged by it and I'll try to get a session or two a week in at the dog park or in dog-heavy neighborhoods with room to retreat. Dottie will never love strange dogs, and I honestly don't care if she can meet them or not. Just walking the neighborhood in peace is enough for me.

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya!

    Wow...what a great way to begin the summer!

    You've built a strong foundation and now it's time to reap the rewards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a good session!

    I'll be down on our farm south of Madison with Vanya (and Tiva, our calmer dog) for 5 days next week (from Wed pm until Sunday pm). We could schedule a session if you'd like--or just get together without the dogs to talk about training protocols. I'm a complete dog-training nerd, as I'm sure my blog made clear (I'm also a professor at UW-Madison in real life, which my blog also probably says somewhere).
    Nancy in WI (with Vanya)
    nelangst @ wisc.edu

    ReplyDelete