Wednesday, June 16, 2010

CAT with Berit

I did a CAT session with my friend Berit today. It was really interesting. Gustav seemed totally relaxed and indifferent to her--or is it avoidance? Who knows. So she quickly got to a small distance, about seven feet or so, and I was shaping for yawns, turn-aways, laying down, sniffing, and relaxed movement. I was curious if he would take treats from her, so I had her throw a few. He ate them up and actually had a teeny tiny tail wag-the low and slow kind!! Exciting! The next rep, though, she was one step closer and he stared at her, then woofed and lunged. She jumped, but I had her stay there and after only a few barks, Gustav turned away. Then I had her retreat. I was curious what brought on this change in emotions. Berit thinks it's because she was closer than ever, I wonder if he was a little frightened by their treat interaction as well. Gustav's triggers all involve the concept that the person might actually come up and touch him: people getting out of cars, people walking straight at him, people talking to me, etc. Maybe throwing treats is one of those things as well, even though he likes treats. Hmmm. Unfortunately, she's going on vacation so I'll have to wait to try out another session with her.

Very interesting! I'm not sure where to go with it from here. He's still not showing lots of signs of actual friendliness, maybe I should increase distance a little. I'm very happy he's choosing avoidance rather than aggression, but of course I'd love to see some friendliness to shape for. Maybe I'm pushing him too far too fast. I think I'll ask the CAT forum what they think.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a cue to let him know you're throwing a treat (and they are not going to interact with him...just throw the treat) and he gets to "find it?"

    I think it's interesting that you tested Gustav...and he actually did the same to Berit...by bark /lunge, he was just seeking information...if I do this...what's she going to do...so because she stood still...it provided info to him that 1- she packs yummy treats and nothing happened when he went to enjoy the treat 2- when he lets her know he's worried about the forward movement, she stays put. So really...Gustav learned that this person can respect his limitations...

    Sometimes practicing with a person that he LOVES doing this same friendly person approaches, throws treat, and leaves..it helps take the "I don't know what's going to happen" out of the equation and with worried dogs...the uncertainty is what debilitates them and they regress to what works.

    ReplyDelete