Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Two good days.

Both today and yesterday I was able to take the dogs on separate walks. What a pleasure! Gustav made it 20 minutes without crying while Dottie and I were gone, with a good bone of course. He also gave it up without any problems. Since he growled at me once a few weeks ago while reaching into his crate to take away an amazing meaty bone, I've been doing a little resource guarding stuff here and there, not too much. I'm not sure if that's helped or if the bone is less meaty or if it's because I wait until he brings his bone out of his crate himself before I take it away.

Gustav barked at one person, a friend of mine I saw on my walk. I told him Gustav is "mean" (sometimes you have to be simple and inaccurate to get people to listen) and he stopped walking towards us and that was fine, but while we talked he inexplicably took a few more steps forward before I could say anything and Gustav did a woof and lunge. Nothing terrible, but it sure worked because my friend stopped coming towards us. Other than that we saw tons of dogs and people and he did great. I was really proud. Same with Dottie.

1 comment:

  1. good good news! The one on one is time consuming but sure is a nice way to start the day especially when you get to work through a trigger without having to manage other dog too....

    btw...I will have to use 'he's mean" too! I love it!

    Finally we have a "breakfast club' set up for reactive dogs in my area. One trainer I know from Whistler is coming down to work with a few of her clients, and George and I are able to join the group and work on our issues as well.

    Makes the world of difference being able to work with those who are in the same boat!

    Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete