Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Talking to Kathy

After I did a bunch of CCing with the workers next door, Justin came home after I had left for something else and went outside. He said he was able to have a conversation with Kathy about the landscaping she's having done. The perfect thing happened: Gustav started by woofing and trying to get Kathy to leave, but everyone just ignored him. So he gave up and Justin chatted with Kathy with no interference from the dogs and no treats. I hadn't had success with this fairly recently, so I was extra impressed. I tried to talk to Kathy but Gustav barked a bunch because I was out of treats and I was petting him to try and keep him calm. Now I know that next time I should just ignore him, and maybe he can stop on his own.

Also, both dogs declined to bark at the golden doodle who lives one house over in the back yard. I guess she's old news. She barks at them every time, and my dogs used to rush the corner of the yard barking back and we would call them, etc. etc. This time they both looked up but then just went about their business. Actually, Gustav did and Dottie came inside to avoid the issue.

Imagine it: actually talking to my neighbors even with my dogs out. Amazing. This is the summer for it, I can feel it.

I'm doing a CAT session on Wednesday with my friend Grace in the park.

3 comments:

  1. That's where I find people get stuck and go elsewhere as well.

    I can totally relate to feeling like a pez dispenser as those were my thoughts as well before having been taught about raising criteria and creating balance for the behaviour vs reward.

    I don't think enough trainers teach people how to raise criteria so you don't fall into that trap.

    I love those novelty wearing off moments :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I were better about carefully raising criteria. With the exception of basic counter conditioning and visitor/door training, I'm pretty terrible at sticking to my well-laid training plans. You're right, that's the thing that they don't teach enough in classes. I know at least a few people who say their dog is great in class but they don't know how to transfer the skills to work for them in real life. Their solution is to stop going to classes and wait for the dog to get older and mellow out.

    In terms of Dottie hassling me for treats, the most frustrating aspect for me is that she doesn't do it to Justin at all. I'm trying to emulate what he does, which seems to be just ignoring her.

    I love the novelty wearing off moment too. It's new for me and therefore extra exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. re: raising criteria, that's where games come in. Susan Garrett is the trainer that I learned the art of raising criteria and balance for the reward (actually, in the end being with you is more valuable than the reward ie..lunging, playing, insert whatever the dog is having emotional self control issues about)

    I'll see if I can find an article about it.

    ReplyDelete