Sunday, January 31, 2010

Feisty Fido IV

I did NOT want to get up for Feisty Fido this morning (hmm, might this be a recurring theme? Dog class early on Sunday mornings is not a great idea for me? Especially if there's fun happening the night before?). But I did, and Dottie and I had a good time. She did well, I learned things, etc. etc.

Right now my mom and dad's dog Loona is over since they're out of town. The three dogs make a really funny pack. I'm glad they all get along so well. When Loona first came over, Gustav tried to get in her space in a friendly way and she growled and he lay down and exposed his neck and otherwise acted the submissive. Funny that he's so cowed by the women in his life, and happily so. I think having Dottie/Loona types around really helps him develop his emotional control. They will not hesitate to put him in his place if he's rude or pushy. If he wants to play, he has to be incredibly delicate and careful or they won't play anymore. Not that they really play with him much, but there are some brief moments where they indulge him. Dottie and Gustav are really both better off with each other rather than being an "only dog."

Time to go back to bed, then start brainstorming questions/issues for Chelse on Wednesday. I have so many training questions, so I need to focus in on what's most important and how to get Gustav on a really solid, individually-tailored plan. I've been wondering recently if neighborhood walks are even the best thing for him. They've been perfectly happy getting mostly just yard-time (Justin or I goes out and plays with them) while it's been cold, and there's no scary strangers or potentially upstart dogs in the yard. Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment