Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Phew!

The vet visit is over. I was incredibly stressed out, but tried hard to remain calm. Justin was in charge of holding Gustav while Nancy examined him and gave him shots. Gustav's heart was pounding and Justin said at one point he gave a big shudder of fear. Nancy said she's pretty sure he expressed his anal glands from fear.

But, Nancy said she never felt like he was about to go off on her, and that when that happens she gets a particular feeling and notices enlarged pupils and a quivering lip. After he was examined we put him in his crate.

When she came in we had the dogs in the yard, then let them in after she had entered. Gustav was good until Dottie barked, then he put up his hackles and acted more fearful. Just underscores the importance of keeping Dottie calm. Nancy recommended next time that everyone stands around ignoring them until they aren't reactive anymore. Otherwise pre-emptive treat giving for calm behavior is good. That's what I'm striving for, obviously.

We talked briefly about the possibility of putting Gustav on some doggie drugs for his fear. I'm going to talk over this possibility with the behaviorist when we have an appointment.

All in all, I'm super stressed and slowly calming down, but incredibly relieved that nothing bad happened. Poor Gustav was just absolutely terrified. In other news, Gustav is fat and the low-protein diet we have him on Nancy thinks is a low-quality food. So we'll probably switch him. Can't decide whether to go to some other low-protein or back to normal Iams.

I know I will feel better if I make a behaviorist appointment, which I was planning on anyway. That's my personality: I have to take steps to solve problems to feel better. Even though my resolution is to chill out a little.

Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment