Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dog group

I had the first meeting of the training group today. I am really excited to work with people in set-up situations, I think it will be mutually beneficial for everyone. We're going to get together and do some walk-by type drills. I think I'll bring Dottie to start since she's easier, then try out Gustav later on.

Yay!

In other news, Gustav and Loona got in a bit of a fight last night. I wasn't there, Justin was. He said Gustav was winning and he yelled "no" and they stopped. Sounded a little scary, and sort of interesting considering Gustav had been so submissive until that point. Guess he'd had enough. Sound like they were competing for Justin's attention, maybe a little resource guarding from Gustav? Loona growled and lifted her lip when Gustav approached Justin while Loona was getting pet. Dottie has never treated us as resources, so I wonder if that's the one area where Gustav won't just take it. When I pet Dottie, he always comes up and tries to horn in. I usually put him on a sit then pet him. Hmmm.

Also, I feel like Gustav is really turning a new leaf in terms of strangers on walks. He just seems extra relaxed and super willing to give up an autowatch. I think it's the increased distance I'm giving him. I haven't pushed him at all in terms of getting closer than half a block or so to people. I wonder if he feels more trusting that I won't get him too close, so he can relax. I also actually got a tail wag out of him while CCing from the backyard. There were some people on the street fixing a car and talking loudly, and we went to the fence to watch them. A tail wag is huge, I think. If I ever got one out on a walk I would probably throw a party.

No comments:

Post a Comment