Thursday, February 4, 2010

Read read read.

I've been binge-researching, which is a moderately unhealthy phase I sometimes get into. I get interested in a topic and spend hours reading up on it, somewhat compulsively and usually to the exclusion of other healthy, balanced activities, like sleeping and doing homework.

That being said, I feel like I have a decent handle on this CAT thing, and I'm intrigued. I won't go into all the details, but I found the master's thesis that it's based on and read it. I wasn't bowled over by the scope of the research. The sample size was dismal, definitely in case study range (six dogs). There was no control group or comparison group, and no reliable long term follow up with the treated dogs. I thought the theory was sound, but I'm no expert in applied behavioral analysis.

The real issue is whether it might help Gustav. I have a real problem with the shoddy translation of research to practice in the dog training world, and if I hear one more testimonial as proof that something works, I'm going to scream. All it really means is that someone tried something and their dog improved. The connection is not certain, and doesn't mean it will translate to my dog. Even if the research was really solid, though, my dog could always be the outlier. So Justin and I have to sift through all of this and choose responsibly.

Next step: find out a way to get a hold of the ten-hour, $135 CAT DVD. Chelse thought she might be able to lend it to me, that would be awesome. Then find a decoy and call up Chelse to run a session. I think we should chat about the details, because the application can vary a bit.

Ok! I guess I should attend to other aspects of my life, like getting dressed and going to school. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment