Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Driver's ed video day

Boy, who knew the prospect of homework would make me such a prolific blogger?

Today's walk was what I call a "driver's ed video" walk. Remember those simulations from driver's ed? Where you have to swerve around a little girl chasing her ball in the street and stop suddenly because the car in front of you did? On days where we barely get a breather between, um, let's call them training opportunities, there is a similar feel. The good news is we passed the class and had lots of great moments. We saw an angry woman yelling into her phone across the street, a jogger, a golden retriever, punk-ass kids swaggering and yelling a bunch, neighbors shoveling, mailman in--I'm not kidding--a snowsuit, screaming children frolicking in their yard, etc. etc. etc. I got some excellent auto-watches from Gustav. I've been waiting a second longer to see if he's going to, then I jackpot him if he does. Another great way to get him to look is to stop abruptly, then he usually looks around at me after a few seconds. When he spotted the retriever, he got all tense, then actually decided to turn and look at me. Jackpot! Good boy! I executed an excellent and smooth U-turn when I spotted an off leash dog up ahead, the dogs responded beautifully. Not a peep out of them the whole entire walk. Hooray!

I was on my absolutely last piece of cheese as we got home, and I never ever thought we'd get close to running out. I was also sweating and pretty stressed out by the end. Whew! We played in the yard a bit to cool off, and I got the opportunity to practice "leave-it" with Gustav, as he had uncovered his favorite backyard treat: a poopsicle.

I also just saw Gustav lift his lip at Dottie for the first time ever. I gave him a kong with hot dog in it to entertain him while Dottie and I went to the front yard so I could shovel. After we came back in she got close and he lifted his lip. I said "Gustav!' in a shocked tone, which I regret now because he gave me a (what I interpreted as) mean stare. I made up for it (I hope) by approaching him while tossing treats which he gladly ate. I really think he has the potential to be a pretty nasty resource guarder, so every once in a while I stand over him and drop chicken while he eats, or take away his bone and give it right back. I would never ever have these things around with outsiders (i.e. not me or Justin).

Ha ha, now Dottie has managed to get said kong without incident and is working on it in his crate. Of course Dottie can take care of herself, silly me.

Oh, one last question for the behaviorist: how do I interpret his molasses response to cues? When I ask him to lay down, he frequently does so verrrry slowly and with a bit of an attitude (in my opinion). Do I ask him again? Walk away? Is he being sassy or just dumb?

The boys are coming over for practice tonight and Chelse comes tomorrow morning, so I'm sure I'll have plenty to report.

No comments:

Post a Comment