Sunday, May 2, 2010

A couple of things

I did an hour of modified CAT with my friend Grace. She sat at a picnic table and read a book and I walked to a certain distance, then would wait for Gustav to do something, then turn away, then repeat at a closer distance.

It went okay, with a few bugs. One, the park was really crowded and we kept getting distracted by far off dogs/people, etc. Two, I'm having a really hard time figuring out what "acceptable behaviors" to reinforce. Of course, the easiest is just to reinforce calmness in general for ten seconds or so, then turn away. But I also would like to eventually reinforce for friendly behaviors, like a gentle approach or soft-eyed air sniffing, or a low tail wag. I didn't see any, so I had to choose other things. I ended up reinforcing a few shake-offs, a yawn, and some turn-aways. Unfortunately, due to my lack of experience, I accidentally got Gustav in a place where he barked a few times. So I had to wait it out, then reinforce subsequent calmness. It was weird, he was just standing there with me, then he started to whine (which I've NEVER seen him do out and about before), then bark at Grace. I'm not sure exactly how to fix this since he offers such a narrow range of behaviors. My options are: go a longer distance and hope I see something even more relaxed, and assume that someday he'll offer something friendly, or cue a friendly behavior if I could teach him one that would apply to people (has anyone ever trained a low, slow tail wag?). I'll probably start off with option one and see how far I get.

The next day I brought Dottie to the dog park and tried positioning myself on a path perpendicular to the entrance. It went great. I think this approach has tons of potential for Dottie because she is actually trying to do what works, she's not out-of-her-mind hysterical. As the people on the CAT list would say, she's "operant" Gustav's feelings run a little deeper, I feel like. So Dottie quickly learned that a turn-away meant I would get her out of there. I also cued a play-bow a few times, to give an idea of something friendly she could do. I wouldn't take a look-at-me, just a look away at something else.

I went on craigslist and found some people who want to work on their dogs with me, I'll be setting up some time right after finals are over (just a few weeks now!). I hope I meet some people who are really committed and who I can feel like we're being mutually beneficial by working with one another's dogs.

Finally, I had an interesting walk with them both yesterday. We were doing some CAT in a field while some little dogs conveniently walked along a path far away. I was focusing on Dottie, since it's impossible to do both at once. Things were going well, and Dottie was definitely choosing not to bark, when the dogs broke free and came running after us! I retreated backwards, pulling my dogs while they snarled and barked and lunged and the little dogs did the same but always kept just out of range (I wouldn't want to meet Gustav either!). The woman finally caught up and apologized. This is when the best part happened: I said "no problem, these things happen." And my dogs sat and waited calmly while we had a five minute conversation! About dogs, of course. I used my semi-truthful "rescue dog" statement and we talked about all the work we do to help them. The whole time her dogs just stood calmly, and mine sat pretty as can be with occasional treats from me. Speaking of CAT, I love that the final lesson in all this was that sitting calmly makes people and dogs go away. I was really pleased with the final result.

6 comments:

  1. I always wonder with all these techniques whether what really happens after a while is that their triggers just get boring when you don't make a fuss about them or reward them (which ever way...) but the biggest reward and learning actually takes place because there's no reaction coming from the trigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting, right? Like, isn't every time someone passes us without a reaction from my dogs essentially rewarding them for being calm? But if that's the case, there would seem to be so many more good trials than bad. It must make a huge impression on them every time they get over threshold and get freaked out and pitch a fit, because that is by far the minority of experiences we have with people.

    In the reverse, we have gotten dogs behind fences to stop freaking out because we're not freaking out and we just stand there. After a while everyone calms down and we go on our way.

    I definitely don't buy the CAT people's insistence that everything is operant to a dog. There are absolutely some temperament/fear issues that are not about reinforcement/punishment, they're about anxiety and emotions. You can slowly change them, but I think it's silly to imagine that a dog is always dispassionately acting on the environment through triggers, stimulus, behaviors, reinforcers, etc. etc. I'm a grad student in child development, and we figured out it's not all about behaviorism in that field a long time ago. I think people just get caught up sometimes.

    Not that it isn't useful to use operant principles, it's just not the end-all be-all of a dog's motivation in life. And, just like people, different things work for different dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so true!

    If it's a compassionate way to communicate, I see it as something more to add to my "training" or rather communicating tickle trunk.

    I'm not one for falling for absolutes.

    I still think there's a better word to use rather than training. I like benevolent leadership, but it still seems so one sided.

    I wish I could come up with a catchy phrase that gets people thinking outside of a lab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about guidance? That's what we use in the early childhood field now instead of "discipline."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought and have used guidance...until I heard that term used to describe hands on pushing your dog into a sit or down :(

    It is a great idea for me to look to that field for ideas...hmmmm

    I am putting together an outline for a few clinics I'd like to start come summer/fall. Question for you...would you as dog owner see the value of going to a clinic vs a 4wk class?

    sort of a 1 day, 2 hour clinic on games you can play with your dog to teach manners and have fun at the same time? My evil plan is to teach people the basic's on how to use their body language (in a nice way no growling or stomping of feet), figure out what motivates their dogs and lastly teach them how much learning takes place when you play games..and learn to interact rather than boss their dogs around

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I would definitely be interested in the clinic. There are two basic reasons to go to dog class: to learn information (which the clinic would be great for) and to practice (which longer-term classes work better for). With Gustav, classes were mostly useful for building in meaningful practice time, since most of the information wasn't new to me. But for people who need information or who learn best through demonstration and explanation (rather than books), a clinic would be awesome.

    Maybe coaching?

    ReplyDelete