Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Just an update

Worked Gustav on the line at the park, his recall is just awful. That's okay, though, we'll work on it. His attention outside is also awful. Good to have one on one time to work on it.

I found out that Gustav is crying and crying while me and Dottie do our together-time without him. I'm not sure what to do about it, since he doesn't start until we're out of earshot, stops before we come in the house, and is left with really high value stuff (bones, kongs, etc.) I wouldn't even know about it if I couldn't hear him from the sidewalk. I can't imagine normal separation anxiety stuff would help, since we leave without incident while he happily chews away at whatever I've left him. Also, the high-value item is still good to go when we get home, just at some point while we're gone he stops chewing and starts crying. Weird weird weird.

I'm doing a CAT with my sister-in-law/good friend Tish today at the park. I'm curious to see how it will go.

I've started desensitizing knocking, and making it a predictor for treats in the kitchen. I knock on the door, say "kitchen!" and toss treats in the kitchen. I'm hoping this will help them memorize what to do when they hear a knock: run to the kitchen! I imagine it will take a while, however.

Dogs hung out in the van without me for about three minutes and with pretty good bones. I'll keep up on that, then start driving the van to different locations and leaving them in it.

Lots going on in the dog training section of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment