Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wonderful wonderful free time

I'm done with the semester for all practical purposes, and it's been great dog-wise. They get a jog every day, plus three sessions of door work and, starting today, three sessions of "van time." I have this idea that my sweet van will be our vacation savior if they can enjoy the van as a little home. I don't have a super solid training plan, but so far I've just said "van" and we all get in and eat chicken for about a minute. I imagine training it sort of like crate training, but where we start even smaller because they're not alone in the "crate" for starters. I'm hoping to pick up some new meaty bones and close them in the van for like thirty seconds, then let them out. Then I'm hoping to drive around the block or so and try it in different locations than just the driveway. Hopefully with three sessions a day we can make some progress in a month or so.

Speaking of progress, running the door drill three times a day, five reps each has done wonders. I can now go all the way out the door, let the screen door close, then open it all up again and come back in with the dogs still sitting in the kitchen. I've started adding the tiniest knock, where I really just touch my knuckles to the door. I think it's just about friend time for this drill. Hooray! Maybe I'll start with Justin and Shane. Maybe I can even convince the band boys to come in three or four times each every time they come over. As it is right now, they let themselves in while I body block the dogs in the doorway of the kitchen, but there's been hardly any barking (though plenty of rubbernecking around me to see who it is.)

The vet's coming next Monday, I'm nervous again. I feel like the person who dislikes the dentist and therefore doesn't go, I was supposed to have the vet over sometime in April so I'm running late. I put it off because I was nervous. She doesn't seem nervous, however, so that's comforting.

Finally, I'm meeting up with a potential dog training helper tonight to discuss options. Plus I contacted two other people to set up time next week to do some CAT. I'm curious . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment