Monday, May 24, 2010

Pam Dennison's book and poop.

I've really been enjoying Pam Dennison's book "Bringing Light to Shadow." It's a training diary. It's great because I've always wanted to see rehabilitation in action, both the good days and bad days. The dog ends up great (of course, otherwise wouldn't be much of a book). Most interesting parts I thought were the immense progress after the first eight months or so. The dog (and trainer) just seemed to start getting it, and then progressed at a much faster pace than before. Also the importance of working when the dog is comfortable, something I've found super useful in Gustav. As soon as I started working where he was truly comfortable, rather than just "fine," I noticed he made more progress. So I would cross the street even though he could make it past the person without bark/lunging, just because he looked tight.

There's a few big differences between me and Pam. One, she's a professional dog trainer whose life is literally training her dogs. I have school, a job, a band, a boyfriend, friends, an awesome nephew, and a house to maintain. I am really happy with this life and even though I love my dogs, I am not willing to make them my full-time job. Two, luckily, Gustav is not nearly as screwed up as the dog in the book. In fact, he's almost perfect except for around strangers and dogs, and considering what a couch potato he is he really doesn't need tons of work. Three, and related to number one, Pam has big competition goals for her dogs. I want a functional pet with a decent quality of life. A much lower bar. I don't need a dog that loves being examined by strangers or can be perfect while being groomed or has a perfect heel. Just a dog that doesn't lunge and bark and, maybe, can tolerate a brief pet from a stranger (although honestly, it's not that big a deal to me). Finally, I really am not into training a bazillion tricks and cues. I know it's a good idea for some types of dogs (like Dottie), but Gustav is a bit of a slow processor and I personally think it would be more beneficial to have an amazing sit, come, down, stay, and stop, and then maybe a little target, sniff, and play bow; than to have a dozen half-proofed cues that he doesn't know too well.

However, it's been a great read, and very encouraging. I have high hopes for Gustav.

Yesterday I took the dogs in the van (trying to get them used to it) to the lake. Dottie swam, and Gustav rolled in some amazing poop. Since he was already filthy, I called him away and let him go back, just to take advantage of the situation. Then I brought them home and washed him twice and he still stank. Gross. Everyone in the band who came over for practice later laughed and complained.

Also, Dottie has figured out how to paw the blocks on her Nina Ottosson toy. It is so cool! What a great little brain toy. I just pull it out here and there for tiny little sessions, and it really seems to get Dottie thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment