Thursday, March 25, 2010

Morning walk

We actually talked to the guy who owns the hated JRT across the street. He didn't have his dog with him, but he chatted with me from about 15 feet away as we walked down the street. Gustav was tense but checked in with me and got loads of treats. Dottie barked and was her usual hysterical self, but maybe Gustav is learning to ignore her a little better. Talking to people is usually a major trigger, good job Gustav! We also walked right past some hobo types hanging out on the bridge that crosses the creek. They talked to me and Dottie barked and Gustav was good. Had them both sit fairly close for a second, then moved on. Dottie got to play some frisbee, Gustav ran around on his line. Nice morning for us, Dottie's barking nonwithstanding. In accordance to my more relaxed view, I decided that Dottie is a barky dog and not every bark is a cause for immediate and extensive training. At least when she barks at people it's out of a sense of overarousal and excitement, not "I'd like to kill you, please."

The people on the bridge stayed there and we ran around the park a lot. Gustav was able to completely ignore them and have a good time, and even came when called a few times. It showed me that the people were not a big deal to him. I've definitely seen him bark and lunge from very far away at joggers in that same park. People sitting are much less threatening to him than people jogging, plus he's just better in general.

6 comments:

  1. It's great to get away every once in a while. Seemed like it was a well timed vacy!

    My George loves to hear the sound of his own voice too, and for the most part, I've just learned to recognize the ones where he's vocal because he's fearful or just being the fun police.

    He is who he is. I can't make him into a cool hand Luke or Lassie...

    I do roll my eyes at him when he's being a loud mouth schnook brat and apologize about the noise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wondered if Dottie had a little beagle in her :)
    It's a good self-check: am I really that concerned because my DOG is BARKING? Isn't that what dogs do sometimes? Why do I want my dog to exhibit emotional control above and beyond what I myself can muster day to day? If I took my initial expectations to the logical limit, I guess I would want my dog to not bark, solicit my attention, sleep all the time, and so on. What's the fun in that? I love her, um, let's say zest for life. When she was a little sick a while back, watching her tiredly meander on our walk made me really appreciate her when she's healthy. Sure, she was quiet and low-energy and unobtrusive, but what's the fun in that? Sometimes it's good to take a moment and remember why we have dogs instead of, say, not having a dog.

    My boyfriend Justin always says that no bark sounds louder than the bark of your own dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so true! then again George once bayed at an older lady and she clutched her chest and I thought she was going to drop dead! And I swear George had the biggest smile on his face after that....He almost scared the life out of her :)
    Atleast I have loads of stories to tell. They do keep life interesting, that's for sure. All that personality. If you could name a celebrity for Dottie and Gustav who would they be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. another thing...there are benefits to having dogs who prefer quieter areas...We've found some really cool places to explore off the regular path where if walking with the rest of the world, we would have missed it altogether. so it's not all that bad. Plus I see so many people ignoring their dogs altogether, walking their dogs, talking to their friends, or on the cell...and their dogs are looking at them, trying to get their attention..sometimes I feel sorry for those "perfect" dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that poor lady! Dottie doesn't really care for the elderly, I guess she's never really been around them too much.

    Celebrities, hmm. Justin always says Dottie reminds him of an insecure short guy: always acting tough in the hopes it will preempt any conflict. Someone who is high strung but smart and probably nice to their family. Maybe Anna Wintour? Hilary Clinton? Gustav might be one of those guys who occasionally punches the paparazzi but is otherwise laid back, maybe not super bright. Maybe Russell Crowe? Or a football player of some sort?

    How about yours?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Hilary Clinton n Russell Crowe :P that's awesome!

    Keegan = Jim Carey, loud, a clown, it's all about the party, and does have a very sweet, sensitive side.

    Daizy = Joan Rivers smart, funny & bossy


    George = Johnny Depp, quiet, charismatic & has a rebel side to him

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hb2V6k69D4&feature=related

    ReplyDelete