Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sniff cue

This has been really fun to teach. Since I've long since realized that I'm the neighborhood crazy lady with my crazy dogs, I don't really care what I do when out and about. I've started labeling "sniff" when the dogs are sniffing a tree or hydrant or whatever. So now I'm the neighbor who says "sniff!" out loud while my dogs sniff. Ha. At home I hold a piece of kibble in my fist and tell them to sniff. Then they get a "good dog" and get to eat it. Someday when I think they get it they'll sniff it without eating it. No rush. I find I can point to nearly anything and say "sniff" and that's what they'll do. Wonderful to work with nature on this one.

Some strangers came over today. Gustav was crated for ease, but Dottie got treats thrown in the kitchen. She met them and only let out a few excited barks. Not bad for her. Throwing the treats really helps, she thinks it's fun to go sniff them out and it gives her something to do besides wait for me to feed treats to her.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Actually if they've already caught on that fast, maybe it's a good cue to teach to 'sniff" your hand, friends hands until he gets the hang of it, before trying strangers.

    After a sniff, without interaction from the person... then a reward from you? or them, or mix it up?

    Maybe that's a good start for Gustav?

    So eventually he'll understand that hands are for sniffing or nose touching, not for mouthing?

    I totally agree that it's so much easier to capture a behaviour that they do naturally then start from scratch and shape it.

    cheers,

    from the Crazy Dog lady in Canada "Me"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, I'll try sniff on myself, friends, and the other dog, respectively. I'm looking forward to asking them to sniff each other!

    ReplyDelete