Saturday, March 27, 2010

Spring jog

Great jog today. The dogs were just wonderful. We saw some, but not too many, dogs and people and got lots of quality counterconditioning done, plus fun running around and otherwise enjoying one another's company.

I'm watching the constructional aggression treatment I bought on ebay. Really fascinating, I'm curious to try it out, but I think I'd like my behaviorist to be involved, at least at first. There's some decisions to be made, like what constitutes "acceptable alternative behaviors" that get reinforced by the scary thing walking away.

My goal of enjoying the dogs is going great, I feel less anxious and more just appreciative of them. I ignored Dottie's whining for about twenty minutes the other day, and lo and behold she just gave up and went to sleep, rather than tricking me into fixing her a kong or otherwise entertaining me.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a powerful tool, ignoring to extinquish behaviour :)
    Only thing with Daizy is sometimes while I'm ignoring her normally using my laptop or reading, sometimes I'll look up and find a pile of Darrell's shoes, slippers and socks next to me (whatever he doesn't pick up after himself)... or the roll of toilet paper:P

    I just make a point not to look until I know she's given up and settled somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete