Sunday, March 14, 2010

We've had better days . . .

Dog training group today! I brought the dogs on what was supposed to be a jog this morning to burn a little extra energy before training. It was not really a jog, because there were millions of people out and we had to cross streets, turn around, stop, etc etc. Everyone did well except Gustav growled at a couple of guys who came out of their house unexpectedly. And Dottie barked at a kid running across the street, which was annoying since I was focusing on Gustav and didn't expect trouble from her.

So we went to meet Kelly and her pug Olive to do some training. Gustav did great, he was wagging his tail and looking at me with soft eyes and seemed pretty okay. He did look at the dogs in the dog park a lot and would get tense or stuck, but I could call him away with no problems. Me and Kelly walked towards one another until a certain point, then turned away. Gustav did great. People with dogs walked through the park, he did great. He lay down at one point but then Olive moved suddenly and he jumped up and started barking at her. I asked Kelly not to move away so Gustav wouldn't be rewarded, and sure enough thirty seconds later he stopped and looked at me (after hitting the end of his leash), then I praised and treated him and moved away.

Then I asked Kelly if she wouldn't mind putting Olive in the car and doing some people training. I decided to try out the concept of CAT, at least in a small pilot sense. So I had Kelly walk towards us until I sensed Gustav was uncomfortable, so we could mark off that spot. I watched Gustav, and he all of a sudden started barking and growling. So I said to put the cone there and Kelly walked away. Then I had her walk towards us not nearly as close as the cone. Unfortunately by now Gustav had gotten pretty freaked out by her and the concept that she might actually come all the way over and his threshold was much easier to reach. I was really torn. Kelly was standing at least 20 feet away or so. I didn't want Gustav to take home the message that barking and growling is a good way to make people go away, but I also didn't want him to have a bad experience. I decided, wrongly I think now, to have Kelly stand there until he calmed down on his own. He was barking really defensively, which is somewhat new. That is, instead of lunging and hitting the end of the leash, he was leaning his whole body against me and barking in a sad, slightly high-pitched sort of way. He was obviously frightened and it was sad to watch. After not very long (maybe ten seconds?) he decided to stop and turned away and sniffed other things and sat down, etc etc. I had Kelly move away then. The key issue is whether I think he stopped because he got less fearful since she wasn't moving forward anymore and his barking wasn't working (i.e. habituated), or if I think he stopped out of helplessness and despair, or feeling shut down (i.e. flooding). We did a few more where he didn't get to barking but as soon as he looked up at me or did some other affiliative behavior, like turning away or sniffing or sitting, then Kelly walked away.

Definitely I misjudged the threshold. I didn't want him to go over, I didn't want to make this a flooding exercise because I don't believe in that method. I hope that by the end, after we corrected distances and he could be more relaxed, that he took home the right message: relaxation makes good things happen, either treats or the person going away.

I got him in the car and he lay down and I was really conflicted. Most of the session went great, with lots of attention and relaxed behavior from him (tail wags! out in public! in the presence of people and dogs!). I hadn't been faced with his fears about strangers for a while since I'm so careful while out on walks, and it made me stressed and sad to see it again. Also his switch from lunging to pushing his body against mine while frightened was encouraging, but also made me feel like I let him down when he was appealing to me to get him out of there! I will be more careful about this in the future and I'll try to err on the side of decreasing the stimulus instead of being worried that he'll be reinforced for bad behavior.

While I was gone Justin brought Dottie out to play frisbee. It was fun, except that they got surprised by the hated JRT on the way back. Justin said she absolutely freaked out. They were about twenty feet from it and had no escape. Justin said she tried to get out of her harness and basically wanted to kill the dog. Ugh. Poor Dottie. I hope they never meet, that's the only dog I think Dottie would actually injure on purpose in a horrible blind rage.

Well, I need to not think about dogs for a while and get over it. Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. Head on interactions I think are the toughest on the dogs. Doesn't matter which type of technique you use, BAT or CAT...

    Don't beat yourself up.

    PLUS it's important to test the dog from time to time to see where they're still stuck.

    Susan Garrett's "test the cue" before moving on to the next baby step in your chain is one of the gold nuggets I live by. ie. testing "stay' by holding a piece of chicken at your dog's nose and moving it toward then away from your dog...without dog breaking the stay BEFORE adding distance of you walking away...to your stay.

    And to me, reading this (fresh eyes) it's so packed full of information!!!! Rich!

    It just makes me ask a couple questions...

    1-Does Gustav understand the three elements to a meet and greet with friends and family?

    2-Has he practiced them while on leash in a "going for a walk" setting and surprise meeting with friends and family practicing approaches from all directions.....even having your friend walk out from the bushes...or skipping or doing jumping jacks all of a sudden by you?

    My point is I find the more we can "bomb' proof them using friends and family doing all sorts of weird or normal things, I find it makes graduating to the next level a little easier..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are the three elements of a meet and greet? I'm curious. There are some people he really likes and it would be fun to use them more for these types of training things.

    There's was definitely something about her approach that made him upset. It was fast and direct. Now I know that one of his triggers is speed of approach and one is angle of approach.

    What do you think about threshold? Where is the best place to be working? While they're completely relaxed? Is it ever a good idea to train when they're tense? Once your dog is barking/freaking out, what do you do? Move them away? Wait for them to calm down?

    I think the saddest part was just seeing him so fearful. I wish I could just tell him that there's nothing to be afraid of. I don't want him to feel like he always has to protect himself (and me?). Poor guy. It's never fun to watch a creature you love be so full of fear and anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fear of the unknown creates anxiety in me!

    I always think about my first trip to Germany or India for that matter.

    Even simple meet and greets with strangers...do I hug them, shake their hand, kiss them on one side of the cheek or air kiss them on both...and I'm human!

    It's easier to show you in video. You can practice the first three steps at home. You don't even need a person...just having a "distraction' like a meaty bone on the floor or favourite toy.

    The 2 turning points in all my 8yrs of trying to wrap my head around helping dogs over come meet and greet are:

    1-teaching and bomb proofing what an approach, a meet and leaving looks like...so dog knows what's expected of them in all three parts.

    2-playing as many different "emotional -mustering up will power games" as I could dream up and making the rewards life rewards, me rewards, food rewards...so you have a lot of ammunition before taking the show on the road.
    I'm not sure why it's not given more emphasis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's the link to my 3 steps that have helped dogs understand what is involved in meeting and greeting..before I add strangers or strange dogs.


    Let me know if you've already done this work or whether it's helpful.

    http://happy-houndz.blogspot.com/2010/03/meet-and-greets-3-steps-starting-first.html

    ReplyDelete